Gratin of Smokies
2 Haddock Smokies
250g leek, white part only
30g unsalted butter
300ml full fat milk
200ml double cream
100g grated Gruyere
A pinch of malted sea salt
1 level teaspoon pepper (grainy mustard, parsley, bacon optional)
1. First put the Smokies into the oven for 5 minutes, then take out and remove all the bones, every single one, and the skin.
2. Cut up the leek 1cm (approximately) square, and soften in a saucepan with the butter.
3. Now add the flour and cook gently for 30 seconds. Add the milk stirring the sauce until thick.
4. Continue cooking for a few minutes then add the flaked Smokies and any other flavour to your own requirement.
5. Put mixture into individual eared dishes, put a tablespoon of cream on top then the Gruyère cheese. Put under the grill for a minute to brown.